Geographical Names Committee
The Free State Provincial Geographical Names Committee was established in terms of section 2(2)(a) of the South African Geographical Names Council Act, 1998. It was established by the provincial department or Sport, Arts and Culture after consultation with the South African Geographical Names Council.
- A PGNC is responsible for advising local authorities and working with them in ensuring that they apply the principles of the SAGNC to the names under their jurisdiction.
- A PGNC makes recommendations to the SAGNC on the names of geographical features that fall within its provincial boundaries. It should do preparatory work for the submission of names to the SABNC and is responsible for seeing to it that local communities and other stakeholders are adequately consulted.
- A PGNC liaises with the SAGNC on promoting research and ensuring that unrecorded names are collected.
- Head of Secretariat: Jeff Mphomela- 051 410 4753/ 072 532 2145
- Researcher : Priscila Sinto - 051 410 4753
Names of places that are either wrongly spelled, appear in more than one place, names that are offensive or discriminatory and those that are not registered.
- Motheo District
- Fezile Dabi District
- Lejweleputswa District
- Thabo Mofutsanyana District
- Xhariep District
- Geographical Names to be changed
- Hearing to Standardize Geographical Names - Programme of the Hearing