From Sport, Arts, Culture & Recreation
Libraries Online: Free State Public Libraries Going Digital
A three year project to bring computer technology to the Free State Provincial Libraries. About 40 libraries will be reached by the project, each of the three years.
- Depending on the size of the library and the community it serves, each library will receive up to 10 computers. The majority will receive 4 computers.
- These will be used to provide access to the public for internet and electronic research media such as encyclopedias.
- The library personnel will also have access to the computerised library system, Prolib. Prolib is an existing system used to manage all aspects of acquiring and lending out of books and other library materials.
- The project also includes training for the library personnel, who will then share their knowledge with the public.
National project initiated by Sport and Recreation South Africa
- Programme is running in all 9 provinces
- Target for the 2005/06: 346 400 participants
- Activities: Aerobics and General Gymnastics, Soccer, Handball, Basketball and Fun Walk/ Fun Run Netball, Volleyball, Baseball, Water activities and Indigenous Games