Queen's Fort Military Museum
Queen's Fort, named for Queen Victoria, is situated on a koppie in Church Street and has become known in the local folklore, as the Old Fort and later as Fort Bloemfontein. The building was completed in 1849 and it was used both as military headquarters and for the Royal Artillery. It was used from 1913 onwards for the care of mentally ill patients with serious criminal inclinations.
The Old Fort now houses the Queen's Fort Military Museum, depicting all the armed conflicts over the world where Free Staters were involved. The outside exhibits include various armoured vehicles, various cannon, and Impala and Mirage fighter jets. Some of the displays include the two world wars as well as the struggle.
- 116 Church Street
- Tel: 051 447-5478
- Open: Mondays – Fridays 8:00 - 12:15 and 13:00 - 15:30