From Sport, Arts, Culture & Recreation
PROFILE OF MEC: SPORT, ARTS, CULTURE AND RECREATION
Ms. LIMAKATSO PATRICIA MAHASA
Background and Education:
The MEC for Sport, Arts, Culture and Recreation, Ms. LP Mahasa was born in the township of Maokeng in Kroonstad. She started her Primary Education in Kroonstad until she matriculated in the same town at Calculus High School. The MEC has further acquired the following educational qualifications: Advanced Governance and Public Leadership, which is equivalent to NQF Level 8, at the University of Witwatersrand in 2016, the Competence Certificate on Strategic Diplomacy from the University of Johannesburg in 2017 and she is currently registered for the Management Advanced Programme with University of Witwatersrand.
Deployment in Government:
The leadership credentials of MEC Mahasa were spotted earlier by the African National Congress (ANC) as she was deployed to serve in various capacities of public leadership in many pioneering responsibilities. Her deployments were as follows:
- Secretary in the Office of Chief Whip in Moqhaka Local Municipality from 2006 to 2007.
- Personal Assistant to the Chief Whip in Moqhaka Local Municipality from 2007 to 2011.
- PR Councillor at Moqhaka Local Municipality in 2011.
- Manager in the Office of the Speaker in Moqhaka Local Municipality from 2011 to 2014.
- Finance Whip in the Free State Provincial Legislature from 2014 to 2015.
- Chairperson of the Portfolio Committee of COGTA, Police, Premier in the Free State Provincial Legislature from 2015 to 2016.
- Member of the Free State Executive Council (MEC) for Social Development from 2016 to 2018.
- Member of the Free State Executive Council (MEC) for Economic, Small Business Development, Tourism and Environmental Affairs from 2018 to 2019.
- Member of the Free State Executive Council (MEC) for Sport, Arts, Culture and Recreation from 2019.
Political Activism and Leadership:
She started her political activism at an early age, within the ranks of the African National Congress Youth League (ANCYL). Her activism was prompted by her concern for Poverty and Social Injustice which were experienced by the communities of South Africa, in particular the Free State. She has always advocated and strived for the total emancipation of women from all forms of oppression.
Her political involvement matured with time and she demonstrated leadership abilities at an early age. This was confirmed by her election to be a member of the Branch Executive Committee member in the ANCYL. She has served the ANCYL as a member of the Regional Executive Committee in Fezile Dabi region, member of the Provincial Task Team and Provincial Executive Committee in the Free State. She grew, from the ANCYL, within the ranks of the African National Congress, both as a member who fought for the rights of the people and as an astute leader. She later served in the following structures of the ANC in the Free State; as a Secretary of the Branch Executive Committee, member of the Fezile Dabi Regional Executive Committee and Member of the Free State Provincial Task Team.
She is currently serving as the Member of the Free State ANC Provincial Executive Committee and the MEC for Sport, Arts, Culture and Recreation.